He didnt beat anybody over the head with his own personal, strident brand of righteousness, his higher standard. There was no sanctimony in his decision. Yea, and there shall be many which shall teach after this manner, false and vain and foolish doctrines (2 Nephi 28:8-9), "I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed. BYU-H Alumni. On Friday, he used his column in the Salt Lake Tribune to say goodbye to the station he helped launch and give the new bosses a message. Inter-Faith Advocate. Not the real you. - Gordon Monson. That station was what became 1280 AM The Zone, later adding 97.5 FM The Zone. The mission experience can be a heavenly thing for some people, and for others it can be hellish especially when they are pushed and pulled into it. But managed and operated by Bonneville/KSL. Before and after the Miller Family sold the Jazz and the station in separate deals to Ryan Smith, the overall spirit of the station remained. KFAN+ will be the exclusive home of Minnesota womens hockey. To receive the free newsletter in your inbox, subscribe here. They are in a circle the wagons mood. These guys did. They thought he was a moron, a moron who was married with a wife and a small child who was squandering talents given from God, turning down all that economic opportunity for himself and his young family. Russ Heltman is a daily news writer for BSM. Would have come with it. As a former member, I realize that backlash can come quickly. TempeCoug. For those who dont know, Gordon Monson was a long-time Utah sports radio host for 97.5 1280 The Zone. Here's what lawmakers have directed schools to do, Can't take statins? Please dont try to change them. Its relentless support through the highs and the lows. Instead, secondary stuff such as avoiding the use of tobacco, alcohol, coffee, tea, etc., would be made optional and lessened as a signature for members around the globe. He can move in with Tanner in PDX. Rather than Bonneville dealing with sign a new one down the road, they decided to just pay him out the rest of it and be done with him. Make adherence to the Word of Wisdom optional, Boil down temple-worthiness interviews to three questions, Swap out the narrow proclamation on the family for this different, more expansive proclamation, Apologize for policies and preachments of the past and present that were and are out of step with a loving God, more specifically, all aspects of racism, sexism and homophobia, Family is love without motive. Again, not saying church members dont already do those acts of giving and kindness, but what I am saying is, if some behavior must be made mandatory, make it service to humankind. Though he will no longer have a presence on The Zone, Monson wont be out of the public eye completely. Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. In June 1964, James Brock dumped acid into the water at the Monson Motor Lodge in St. Augustine, Fla. what can we change about our inherently fundamentalist beliefs and ideologies to appeal to a younger marketplace and modern consumers? , Gordon Monson: Utah ends a season filled with victory with a hurtful defeat in the Rose BowlThere was a mix of sadness and gladness in the hearts of the Utes walking off the field at the Rose Bowl on Saturday Tribune columnist Gordon Monson writes. I don't feel comfortable copying and pasting the entire article. Dan Patrick liked the idea. It would be a good idea to extinguish negative feelings, as well as feelings of inferiority or superiority for having done this or that or not having done this or that. I hope he finds something new. Father. It's worth reading in depth. I am somebody that should be in that room, Eisen answered. But I sincerely hope they let the voices on air do what great on-air voices do best say whatever is on their minds, whether those spoken words, in or out of sports, fall in favor of established institutions, teams, schools, clubs and churches, or not. Its fighting hard, but loving harder. It came from a gossip site that said Tom Brady is pushing back the start of his TV career until the fall of 2024 because Tom Brady wants to begin a career in standup comedythis is Radar Online. Five years after that football player made his own decision, I visited him in his classroom, where he was teaching a bunch of 16- and 17-year-olds the finer points of algebra. For undisclosed reasons, Monson was let go in the transaction. Ralphie, the seemingly unadoptable French bulldog from upstate New York, is making progress in his intensive training program, according to his shelter. Ill never forget the reaction to that news when my column was published in The Salt Lake Tribune back in the mid-1990s. You can find a list of our flairs and their definitions in section 0.6 of our rules. 1320 plays Mariache music. People around here only got bits and pieces of the whole. He died at age 90 from causes incident to age. All posts are copyrighted by their author. Family is encouragement without expectations. Yeah so what if you reject your priesthood duties. It was a bit rough around the edges. Salt Lake Tribune columnist Gordon Monson outlines 20 changes he would like to see made in his faith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. All sides of all topics? From first downs to buzzer beaters, get KSL.coms top sports stories delivered to your inbox weekly. And, yes, he is LDS. He was a fervent believer, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who had made a habit of scripture study and, in this particular case, he was following with strict interpretation and adherence to what he had read. He also made a lot of money in the sale to the. . Its a wonderful chance for growth and maturation for some. And it was OK. All good. He can move in with Tanner in PDX. Amirite or amiwrong? With tender feelings we announce that Thomas S. Monson, president and prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died this evening at 10:01 pm in his home in Salt Lake City. Make it clear that eternity is a long, long time and if people in this brief life do not always get or agree with what the church is doing or why it takes the positions it does, and they dont cling to the iron rod or stay on the covenant path, if they wander a bit or a lot, they wont necessarily be sentenced to some miserable, hellish prison in the Great Beyond, isolated from whom and what they love. This may be the right one. The only problem with that arrangement was that while the Jazz owner was on our air, he was directly competing against his teams station. I wonder if he was suddenly let go without any fanfare due to his recent SL Trib column in response to Hollands BYU speech. Im rooting for them. But Monson still has hope for what the station can be in the Salt Lake market. "What some readers and listeners don't know, he's a dedicated friend to many he truly cares. Maybe Gordo can comment on that? Gordon Monson: The real story of the real hope for 97.5 and 1280 The Zone. Not sure. By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's. He'll go back to 1320 and bring them all with him. The stations but not really that fired me last Thursday, or no, that were letting me go, or not taking me with.. A couple of us banged on then-BYU football coach Gary Crowton on the air so resolutely that he called the show to confront us. All did their jobs professionally well, most of the time. GordonMonson The fact that this needs such an overhaul to me is an indication that it is not the word of a God. Gopher Sports Properties and iHeartMedia have agreed to a new contract that will keep the Golden Gophers on KFAN, KFAN+, and KTLK through the end of the 2026-2027 academic year. Everyone freaked out that the Mormons would cancel the show. Drop the specific details and lose the personal confessions that should be left between each individual and God himself not an ecclesiastical leader who two or three years from now will transform back to the schlub who lives next door to you and your family. But what if a faithful believer has to work, whether its for an essential service doctors, nurses, police officers, air traffic controllers, firefighters, etc. He had served as a Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church since November 10, 1985. He made his choice for himself, for his family, for his life, for nobody else. Part of his uniqueness. Listeners phoning in on sports-talk radio shows were fired up. It may be a wine bar, but a bar nonetheless!. Are you honest? Business Owner. Gordon Monson laid off from 1280. Were excited to use our scale and reach to bring Gopher sports to fans throughout Minneapolis and nationwide on the iHeartRadio app.. His cohost tried to tell him time after time don't do the "Not Sporting News of the Day" but Gordon would never listen and neither did I. From the General Handbook of the church: As used here,apostasyrefers to a member engaging in any of the following: * Repeatedly acting in clear and deliberate public opposition to the Church, its doctrine, its policies, or its leaders, * Persisting in teaching as Church doctrine what is not Church doctrine after being corrected by the bishop or stake president, * Showing a pattern of intentionally working to weaken the faith and activity of Church members. Not on the show today? The instructor did not laugh. Nobody could tell me why I, rather singularly, was uninvited. Another called a high-ranking Utah administrator a liar. In typical cases such as these in radio, most do but rarely get it. It was intriguing, seeing that huge human, his arms spilling out of his shirt like branches out of the trunk of a tree, a man built to play football, in front of his students, scratching out numbers and equations on the board like any other Ms. Fuddpucker or Mr. Offerblach, asking Billy and Suzy questions about some basic formula. But Monson still has hope for what the station can be in the . GORDON MONSON hosts The Big Show with Jake Scott weekdays from 2 to 7 p.m. on 97.5 FM and 1280 AM The Zone. Never pressure or guilt anyone into filling a church calling. Women arent ornaments to be properly covered or shined or kept, rather they are strong individuals who should think and decide for themselves. He is the morning host and producer for 89.3 WMKV in Cincinnati, OH. Honestly, about time. We might be wrong sometimes, and we knew that up front. only for your personal, non-commercial use. Don't cry for Monson, he is quite well off and still writes for that garbage rag, Whatever happened to the former Ute player Kyle Gunther? Thats a gigantic point that I already mentioned and will hammer, again and again, because of its importance. Call it whatever you want, with or without the priesthood, but empower women. (Al Hartmann | The Salt Lake Tribune) Larry and Gail Miller watch a game with Gordon Monson in 2007. Tough. It's probably a contract issue/cost savings. Editor's note: President Thomas S. Monson passed away January 2, 2018. He continued the papers long tradition recently by weighing in on what he thinks church leaders are getting wrong. You know, lets change the catch rule! KSL had long been rumored to covet what we built at 97.5 and 1280, wanting to solidify its connection to the Jazz and to build its own sports media empire. The Cougar freshman was given a flagrant-2 foul and ejected from the game, and the video went viral on the web. /u/maharbamt, if your post doesn't fit this definition, we kindly ask you to delete this post and repost it with the appropriate flair. All rights reserved. And when women fall short of complete and perfect obedience, treat them with the same kindness and respect with and by which men are treated. The Jazz showed organizational self-confidence and security in agreeing to allow me and others to express whatever we saw fit to express. GordonMonson Add in allowing for the punching of deznat members, and you got my vote. Nice of you to show up. Husband. The action behind the scenes was every bit as crazy and entertaining as you might think it to be. Things he thinks leaders should change. Goodbye, Gordon Hayward, we hardly knew you. For all the bravado and strong opinions, as Bolerjack states, above all Monson is a husband, father, grandfather and friend. GordonMonson Just the fact that he feels he needs to beg the church not to excommunicate him for speaking his mind says it all. No, youre not. Having said that I cant imagine youre in any danger of losing your membership. They are a somewhat reputable gossip site. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/01/02/gordon-monson-please-dont/. GordonMonson This was a really great article! GordonMonson Look at all these triggered cult members in the comments . Some people say they want nothing but sports. I worked in Utah radio long enough to know that people get fired all of the time. Rich Eisen is widely regarded as the face of NFL Network, but he wants his involvement with the league to run deeper. All topics? In his article he explicitly wants to change the definition of family in the proclamation. minutes. He also works in gameday communications for FC Cincinnati and additionally contributes to the AllBengals blog for Sports Illustrated. I'm surprised people still spend meaningful time listening to radio, I thought Gunther and Sean O'Connell were the most entertaining and got canned. Something different. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Donate to the newsroom now. His primary focus is Sports. I have seen so many blessings because of them. Theres nothing wrong with modesty, I get that. Too many women of all ages within the confines of the idea that the body is a temple are made to feel shameful for those temples, which, ironically enough, brings additional emphasis on and attention to the bodies that church teachings are attempting to cloak. The Salt Lake Tribune, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) public charity and contributions are tax Miller's group then sold the operation to Smith Entertainment Group in May 2021. Some students laughed out loud at that. The father of five daughters, he served a mission in Germany and today, in fact, is a member of his stake high council. Sending young people on an extended unpaid, nonvacation to a place not of their choice is an intense deal, almost always, particularly when it includes landing in some foreign country, speaking a different language, surrounded by strangers, living in a jungle hut, eating different foods, often being under the supervision of other young people who may or may not know what theyre doing when it comes to helping one another, giving proper advice and guidance, and enforcing mission rules. Longtime Salt Lake Tribune sports columnist Gordon Monson usually writes about first downs, double-faults, 3-pointers and four-baggers. Family is potential without pressure. There's not a lot of on air talent in this market. Family is beauty and madness intertwined our storm and shield all at once. They could be good, famous examples and missionaries for their church, stirring interest in matters of faith while suiting up and knocking the snot out of opponents on the Sabbath. Thats what we saw ourselves as freaking pirates in the studio, at the ballpark, at the stadium, at the arena, toting and talking into our microphones, taking notes, taking calls and taking no prisoners. Too often these leaders are thought of within the church as more than celebrities, as though they are if not deity, close to it. Removing the idea that turning down a calling in the church is a sin would be a priority. Brigham Young University Athletics. Its genuine acceptance, unwavering protection and boundless devotion. His work as a radio host and writer for the Salt Lake Tribune speaks for itself, but the point here is to detail the person the public does not know. And then the steady climb. On December 29, he had a cardiac episode and has been in the hospital since. For a minute, forget about the bombastic statements and sentences, think about what really matters. Ball didnt go in the hoop. Two hosts laughed so hard at some cockamamie thing, the air went dead for a full 30 seconds. Roberts then argued that Bradys history of appearing in movies is much different from doing standup comedy, but added hed still like to see the seven-time Super Bowl winner make the attempt, but for the wrong reasons. A report from Radar Online claims the reason Tom Brady wont begin his television duties with FOX Sports until 2024 is due to his desire to launch a career in standup comedy. But with modern economics being what they are for most hardworking members everywhere, the strain and stress put upon believers who just want a certain quality of life would be lowered. GordonMonson He's asking for The Lord to give the ok for his personal sinful desires. Trapper. Thats an unfortunate emphasis on the wrong things. With current events being what they are, especially with the Jazz and their players at the center of so much attention, bits of politics did, as well. They are loved, not condescendingly, not like pets in a cage, but like authentic equals. But it was published with him thinking he can be a standup comedian because Jane Fonda laughed at his jokes while filming 80 For Brady.. When his lieutenants asked him what on Gods green earth he was doing, coming on a show with the other guys, he uttered the essence of what our station was about. Not a prophet here, not officially, anyway. In some cases, including my 20-year radio duration, he is directly responsible for breaking many into the business. Because of the "QB's go to Utah to die" article? A cocksure host bet his life that BYU would lose to Oklahoma back in the day. Thats the way it should be, would be here. In an ironic twist, as he has pointed out since the deal was announced, Monson also saved several jobs of his friends over the years but couldn't save his own. Brady and supermodel Gisele Bundchen ended their marriage in 2022 after 13 years. Look at everyone the same, treat all the same, do business with them the same. Will it allow honest evaluations of sports teams and coaches and players and icons and institutions, whether they soar or suck? Went to a church service the other day where a young man was speaking at the pulpit who had started out on a mission, but months in had guilty feelings about certain things he had done before leaving, was sent home for six months to repent and was now about to head back out to finish his service. Church leaders at General Conference on Saturday, Oct. 2, 2021. Other Latter-day Saint athletes had prospered in their sports and been praised far and wide for playing on Sundays. The divide was an indicator of other varying positions at the time and diverging positions that would come in later years among faithful Latter-day Saints. Ive actually heard church leaders blame girls in the congregation for wearing short skirts and tight shirts, thereby causing impure thoughts to creep into the tender minds of the boys. Sailor. I know, I know, many are called, but few are chosen. And they didn't. "He's one of the first journalists in the market to combine his writing skills with TV and then co-host his own daily radio show," said Bolerjack. I am somebody that should be in that room.. Its unquestionably showing up through the calmness and the chaos. He was happy for other athletes who chose to go ahead and play on Sundays for their success, for their utilization of size and strength and speed and skill. Eisen listed gripes that included roughing the passer calls not being reviewable and turnovers caused by fumbling the ball in the endzone.