pic.twitter.com/QngbUDNhEI. He was special the way he handled it., The continued advancement of therapeutic exercises and the concussion protocols and the NFL hiring medical liaisons has been crucial in advancement of doing things the right way. 20 in NFLPA ranking of clubs based on locker rooms, food service, travel and more, Sean Payton very excited to have Vance Joseph as Broncos DC after four years in Arizona, Broncos HC Sean Payton hiring Northwestern assistant Lou Ayeni as RB coach, sources say, Brought to you by Prairie Mountain Publishing, Weld judge sentences Greeley man to 60 years for October 2020 murder, Fusco Pizza is a love letter to all things Greeley, Friday's Class 1A-3A regional/state hoops tournament roundup: Platte Valley girls begin quest for third consecutive title, Windsor girls switch to rarely used 2-3 zone en route to win over Mead in quarterfinals of 5A playoffs, Weld and Larimer counties retail food inspection reports, Greeley, Weld County Death Notices for March 3, 2023, Trial delayed for suspect in Investments of Windsor scam, Johnstown fisherman reels in the catch of a lifetime while traveling to Texas for son's junior hockey tournament, Weld RE-1 School District honored for commitment to nursing mothers on staff, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. ThenBroncos head team physician, Ted Schlegel M.D., said when presenting the award: Greek is nothing short of a consummate professional. You won't want to miss a moment of the 2022 season! In fact over his NFL career Elway ran for3,407 yards and 33 touchdowns. They see players near impossible athletic feats, creating the illusion of invincibility. I have never had a day that I dreaded coming to work. I was blessed to be a part of the elation of that. His first chance came in the summer of 1969 when trainer Allen Hurst offered him an internship. Here are those results. Notifications can be turned off anytime in the browser settings. However, Anthopoulos served as an advance scout for the Greek National Baseball Team for the . With unmatched dedication and loyalty to the Broncos, Greek became a trusted confidant for so many coaches, staff members and especially Pat Bowlen. Antonopulos treated 983 players who appeared in at least one regular season/playoff game for the Broncos. In the days of the Orange Crush defense, Greek earned a customized can: . I love my job. A motto for Antonopulos was Defend My Desk., When a new owner or coach was hired, he said: They come in and have 100 things going on and what they dont need is somebody trying to make an appointment and promote themselves. His career is still going as the team's director of sports medicine. My wife deserves this and we need to move on, Antonopulos said in a phone interview Sunday with The Denver Post. We had a few of those guys, but he was to the hilt. Steve Antonopulos has accomplished a lot over the past 45 years. Among his career accolades are the Fain-Cain Memorial Award (2011), an honor bestowed to trainer who exemplifies long-term commitment to the NFL, the NFL/PFATS Athletic Training Staff of the Year Award (1987), the National Athletic Trainers Association Athletic Trainer Service Award (1996) and the NATA Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer Award (2006). According to the organization, Antonopulos' 45-year tenure is believed to be the longest ever spent with a single NFL team. Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Steve Antonopulos is the only Denver Broncos employee that has been with the team through all eight Super Bowl appearances, which included three title victories. Professional football players endure incessant chronic pain in the playing days and beyond. I work for a great organization that cares about people. Interior linebackers Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan had uncertain futures going into the 2015 season. He served as President of PFATS from 2003 to 2008. Broncos director of sports medicine Steve Antonopulos has been selected by the family of owner Pat Bowlen to present him at the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony Aug. 3 in Canton, Ohio. Our organization wishes him the very best in his retirement. Please check your email for a confirmation. His influence on this franchise, the athletic training profession and throughout sports is far-reaching, mentoring countless interns and staff who went on to accomplish great things. He leaves big shoes to fill at the organization. An interesting couple days and we had a great time.. Denver Broncos | PFATS I just think Pat trusted Greek more than any other employee he ever had working for him, Ellis said. Broncos trainer Steve 'Greek' Antonopulos retires after 45 seasons with Pat Bowlen's family has chosen Steve "Greek" Antonopulos to serve as the owner's presenter at the Hall of Fame . Antonopulos called the honor breathtaking.. It was pretty much a no-brainer when somebody puts in that amount of time, Ellis said. Antonopulos, 72, was a constant factor in the Broncos long run of success over the last 4+ decades treating and working with every single player Denver employed over those years. XFL Week 3 preview: Can AJ McCarron, Battlehawks continue their fourth-quarter heroics? Will they play well again? My wife deserves this and we need to move on, Antonopulos said in a phone interview Sunday with The Denver Post. Call 1-800-GAMBLER. He treated 983 players who've appeared in at least one playoff and regular-season game for the Denver Broncos. ", Nicki Jhabvala (@NickiJhabvala) April 30, 2016. Those things are unbelievable and the number of great people and great minds of technology was phenomenal with what you can do for the medical care of football players., Without question, it was our second year here (1984) and he had to go in the offseason to Boston for a Lloyds of London insurance policy. Please check your email for a confirmation. Counting players on training camp roster, Steve Antonopulos treated more than 1,500 players. It is still early in the process. Its just a cool place., Oh boy, a couple of those. April 12, 2017 at 10:38 a.m. When the Broncos open training camp next month, Antonopulos wont be on the sidelines for the first time since 1975. Gambling problem? The very best of medical practitioners effortlesslyblend sincere empathy and proficient treatment with their patients. The fans are incredible and it was the first of the modern stadiums in the old days. After the 1980 season, he was elevated to head trainer and split his old salary in half to hire two assistants. And these team doctors, for licensed medical doctors they are, can earn in the range of $200,000 and $512,500 per year. He was a fixture on our sidelines for the greatest moments in team history, the first person running on the field to care for an injured player and the one who supported them through every step of their recovery. Antonopulos graduated from the University of Northern Colorado. NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the National Football League.The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. Here's a look. Fangio also added that "I have hard time believing that Greek is really retired. He had a fear of flying. Elway mentioned Greeks help in his Hall of Fame induction speech in 2004. Found this classic can in hubs stuff. For both Apple TV and Fire TV, search for "9news" to find the free app to add to your account. Steve Antonopulos - Head AT - Denver Broncos | ZoomInfo Antonopulos was the longest-tenured employee at the franchise. Past and current players including Peyton Manning and Von Miller . It didn't matter if they were a Hall of Famer or an undrafted rookie -- his standard never changed. Greeks relationship with him was very personal he helped Pat on a lot of different matters, but he was very helpful giving Pat help throughout the season on where his team was at and it was an honest assessment at all times, which was important to Pat.. Steve Antonopulos has been the head trainer for the Broncos ever since. Five hours later, he was driving me 80 miles an hour down I-25 so I could get to the basketball game that night. Please logout and login again. Antonopulos grew up in Hugo, Colo., 105 miles southeast of Mile High Stadium. They required him to go there for a physical. Antonopulos, 72, whom most everyone with the team and in the league knows simply as "Greek," has been with the Broncos since 1976. The one other was (running back) Rob Lytle back in the day. Vince Garcia, Denvers head athletic trainer, will presumably be a strong candidate to replace Greek. There were 983 players who played at least one regular-season game for the Broncos in his tenure. He closed the door and he went nuts again. Broncos president/CEO Joe Ellis told Ryan OHalloran of The Denver Post, Broncos free agent profile: Dalton Risner, Broncos give behind-the-scenes look at the NFL combine. Forty-five years is a long time. A Hugo, Colorado, native, Antonopulos began his career with the Broncos as an assistant trainer in 1976. I just think Pat trusted Greek more than any other employee he ever had working for him, Ellis said. No other NFL trainer has treated a teams general manager, head coach, offensive coordinator and current roster of players. Another option for Fire TV is to have the app delivered directly to your Fire TV through Amazon. Running back could be a sneaky priority need for the Denver Broncos. His salary is around $10 million and his main source of income is from his career as a business executive. Sign up for our newsletter and get every update delivered to your inbox! We had to put him on injured reserve because he couldnt travel. As one of six female athletic trainers in the @NFL, Allison Miner is living her dream. Paul Klee: Steve 'Greek' Antonopulos to present Broncos owner Pat The weather was awful. During his tenure, Antonopulos picked up the following accolades: NATA Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer Award, The National Athletic Trainers Association Athletic Trainer Service Award and the NFL Athletic Training Staff of the Year Award. Greek in his own words,as told to the Board of Certification for Athletic Trainers: The worst part of the job is seeing players devastated by being injured. For instance, his work with offensive tackle Ryan Clady transformed what would have been dead salary cap money into transferable salary through Cladys trade to the New York Jets. Athletic trainers are witnesses to the magic and myth of extraordinary athletic feats. Antonopulos treated 983 players who appeared in at least one regular season/playoff game for the Broncos. Hes been here north of 37 years, and every day, Mr. Bowlen started his day, by parking in the garage, coming up through the steps and stopping by Greeks office and chatting with him. He got $26.4 million without playing a down for the Colts last year 32 percent more than his first-year salary with the Broncos. The fans are incredible and it was the first of the modern stadiums in the old days. After becoming head athletic trainer for the South Metro Fire Rescue in Centennial from 2014-15, Garcia rejoined the Broncos training staff as Antonopulos top assistant in 2016. His 43 years with the Broncos is believed to be the longest tenure by an athletic trainer with one NFL team. One moment they move with extraordinary grace, quickness, and power. That way, we are either working with them or doing administrative work. In 2005, Greek said: The initial treatment wasicing, compression, and elevation (ICE). Since the former Fort Hays head athletic trainer launched his NFL career, a lot has changed in the sport and in the world of athletic training, but Antonopulos' career had such remarkable longevity because he constantly worked to keep up with updating practices and help shape the evolving field. He worked under three owners and 10 head coaches and was a part of 22 playoff teams and three Super Bowl champions. Veteran free agentRussell Okung, the starting left tackle, was signed during the offseason while recovering from shoulder surgery. "Steve Antonopulos is what the Denver Broncos are all about," John Elway aptly summed up on the Broncos' website. Even before taking his first snap with the Broncos, he tore his left knees ACL in high school. Denver Broncos longtime trainer Steve "Greek" Antonopulos retired Monday after 45 years with the team. No one cared more about the players than Greek. Sign up for the 9NEWSLETTERto getcant-miss stories, Next and Broncos content, weather and more delivered righttoyour inbox. Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and trainer Steve Antonopulos had a lifelong He was very straight forward, he was very honest and he was a really good communicator in that he has a good bedside manner in a position where that is obviously required.. ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- After a career that spanned 45 years with the Denver Broncos, director of sports medicine Steve Antonopulos has retired. Marshall had several screws to hold together a foot while Travathan had major reconstruction surgery on his knee cap. Steve 'Greek' Antonopulos retires after 45-year Broncos career Counting players on training camp roster, Steve Antonopulos treated more than 1,500 players. A native of North Dakota and graduate of Kansas State, OHalloran previously covered the Washington Redskins for eight years, primarily at The Washington Times, and the Jacksonville Jaguars for six years at The Florida Times-Union. He has been recognized by the Associated Press Sports Editors seven times for his work. In all he was on the sideline for 941 games (preseason, regular season and postseason) and worked for 13 different head coaches. Sign up for the Broncos Wire newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning. Greek also saidthat Elway was one of the best players at injury recovery. Steve Antonopulos is retiring from the Denver Broncos after 45 years with the team. Greeks success there was evident as TD would go on to dominate the second half and lead Denver to its first Super Bowl championship. Denver Broncos trainer Steve "Greek" Antonopulos, who has served 45 years in the Broncos organization and was a part of the franchise's three Super Bowl victories, is retiring. He was a fixture on our sidelines for the greatest moments in team history, the first person running on the field to care for an injured player and the one who supported them through every step of their recovery. And then Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City has always been one of my favorites. Antonopulos called working for the Broncos a lifes dream., A lot of people say that, but it was the reality for me, he said. In all those years, I never tried to figure out how many hours I worked.. pic.twitter.com/QngbUDNhEI. We sincerely thank his wife Susan and the entire Antonopulos family for sharing Greek with us for so many years.. As the only person in the history of the Broncos to be part of all eight Super Bowls, Greek made a profound impact on this organization. During the season, Antonopulos would often arrive at the facility around 4 a.m. and stay as late as required. Broncos Athletic Trainer Steve Greek Antonopulos is retiring after 45 seasons with the team. He served as the head football trainer at his alma mater in 2009 before becoming one of Greeks assistant trainers from 2010-13. By 1987 he received the NFL/Professional Football Athletic Trainers Society (PFATS) award for Training Staff of the Year. How much do athletic trainers make in the NFL? - Sportskeeda In all those years, I never tried to figure out how many hours I worked.. 2023 NFL Scouting Combine results: Defensive linemen and linebackers. After the 1980 season, he was elevated to head trainer and split his old salary in half to hire two assistants. I always thought that might zing me one day.. What is your favorite memory of the Broncos long-time head trainer? As he would watch games with his father and neighbors, he would say to himself, Someday, somehow, someway, Im going to work for the Denver Broncos.. The Denver Broncos head trainer Steve Greek Antonopulos has retired from the NFL after 45 years with the team. We certainly wouldnt have gone to Cheers had we known it would take that long. It paid $25 a week plus room and board, he said with a laugh. Steve Antonopulos - Head Athletic Trainer - Denver Broncos - LinkedIn The worst locker room in the NFL to a point where we had to tape our athletes in the bathroom if you could imagine that, the locker room was so small. The elation and what historically happened there for the Broncos was unbelievable., The old Kingdome in Seattle was a great place because of the crowd noise and it was a good place to travel. "the Greek" and considered by many of his peers as tops in his profession, has worked for coaches Red Miller, Dan Reeves, Wade Phillips and Mike Shanahan as the Bronco. He was a fixture on our sidelines for the greatest moments in team history, the first person running on the field to care for an injured player and the one who supported them through every step of their recovery. We always worked with Craig Hospital and the concussion experts and developed our protocols, which are similar to some that are used today. Or does the salary serve as a salve to those wounds? Antonopulos is the only Broncos employee who has been to all eight Super Bowls. He had a fear of flying. If youre doing something you love, you dont watch the clock or think about it, he said. When I committed to come back for this past season, I told John (Elway), This is it. You'll now receive the top Broncos Wire stories each day directly in your inbox. Antonopulos and his wife, Susan, have a blended family of five kids and seven grandkids and will split their time between homes in Limon., and Tucson, Ariz., and driving their RV to visit family. Their athletic body movements express their identity. I was making good money on the highway and going to college. His physical was first thing in the morning. You'll now receive the top Broncos Wire stories each day directly in your inbox. Once I get up to Denver and visit with the team doctors, they can check out my knee and do all of that, and then we can go from there. (Kicker) Jim Turner caught a (25-yard) touchdown pass on a fake field goal (from holder Norris Weese) and (linebacker) Tom Jackson went over and gave the bird to (coach) John Madden. FILE - Denver Broncos trainer Steve Antonopulos, center, talks with staff members during drills at the team's NFL football training camp in Englewood, Colo., in this July 19, 2019, file photo. We just really hit it off and it was an opportunity that I had always dreamed about.. It's an annual position that becomes even more demanding during training camp and the season. You are just minutes from Greenwood & Myers Mortuary is the first choice for many families when they are seeking funeral services in Boulder. Antonopulos, whose office was routinely owner Pat Bowlen's first stop each morning when Bowlen arrived to work, is the longest-tenured employee in the franchise's history and is the only employee to have been with the Broncos for each of the team's eight Super Bowl trips. I love the relationships I have developed over the years. Do NFL teams have team nurses? How much do the medical - AS USA Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott's cap hit might be rising in 2023, but owner Jerry Jones believes his quarterback has the ability to bridge the gap in any talent the roster might lose because of it. I love caring for people. The Denver Post caught up with Steve Antonopulos, and during the interview, Antonopulos explained his reasoning behind his retirement. Trainer Steve "Greek" Antonopulos: Through The Years - Denver Broncos Elways competitive drive helped him work through the mental challenges of rehabilitation. Antonopulos and his wife, Susan, have a blended family of five kids and seven grandkids and will split their time between homes in Limon., and Tucson, Ariz., and driving their RV to visit family. Greek received both Bachelors and Masters degrees from the University of Northern Colorado, and began his athletic trainer career at Fort Hays State University in Kansas in 1973, working there until 1976. Five hours later, he was driving me 80 miles an hour down I-25 so I could get to the basketball game that night. Adhesive bandages, electrodes, ice bags, and kinesiology tape. It didnt matter if they were a Hall of Famer or an undrafted rookiehis standard never changed. I loved the job, loved the place and there would be only one position I would leave there for the Denver Broncos.. Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson put on a show Saturday at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine, making history during his highly anticipated workout. He took a year off from football, resuming play without an ACL for the remainder of his career. Antonopulos, 72, whom most everyone with the team and in the league knows simply as "Greek," has been with the Broncos since 1976. What a run. Were on the tarmac going to play San Diego. And he played the whole game. He arrived most days at 4:30 a.m. and was often the last to leave team headquarters at night. If youre doing something you love, you dont watch the clock or think about it, he said. Yet behind closed doors they respond to the ordinary, commonplace maladies of bruises, lacerations, soft tissue tears, and broken bones. Greek was the recipient of the2011 Fain-Cain Memorial Award at the NFL Physicians Society Scientific Annual Meeting. 20 in NFLPA ranking of clubs based on locker rooms, food service, travel and more, From DreMont Jones and DeShawn Williams to mining the mid-rounds, DL a big offseason work area for Broncos, Broncos podcast: New coaching staff, impressions from NFL Scouting Combine, Sean Payton very excited to have Vance Joseph as Broncos DC after four years in Arizona, Colorado property owners to face astronomical tax increases next year, After School Satan Club launching first Colorado chapter, but organizer promises "we are not devil worshippers", PHOTOS: Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band play Ball Arena in Denver, Colorado landlords say eviction-protection proposal could make dropping problem renters too hard, 5 can't-miss menus for Denver Restaurant Week, No more greasy pizza boxes, paper towels or takeout containers in Front Range compost bins come April 1, After teen's death, Denver East High students walk out to advocate for gun legislation, Boulder house where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Metro Denver housing market crosses firmly into negative territory in February, Kiszla: With Brendan Rodgers down and out, Kris Bryant could become $182 million face of worst team in Rockies history, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information.
Centennial High School, Highest Earning Podcasts On Patreon, Articles S