7mm Weatherby created around the 1940's, 7mm RUM created in 2001 approx. 33 Nosler - 33 nosler vs 338 lapua - Ammunitiongunbroker The bore was then cleaned after every three shots for the next 15 shots. One thing I did learn from this is how light the 6.5 creedmoors recoil was. Hey Jim just wanted to tell you that I love the channel.. very informative about not only what rifle options are best for our budget but what caliber might be best for our needs. My own personal journey had settled me on the 7mm Rem. [16], The .30 Nosler was released in January 2016. The Old Timers will get it right away . Backfire LLC owns and operates this website. The choice of caliber will really come down to your needs. If you arent dedicated to significantly longer range accuracy, the .308 Winchester can fit most of your needs with the right load in a more affordable package. The name .30 Nosler refers to the first two digits in the caliber (0.308 in; 7.62 mm) of the bullets that the cartridge fires and the name of the company which created it. I compare 2 premium hunting rounds. By Continuing Your Rights Under a Free Society . Nosler Pro Staff; Sponsored Shooters; Project 48; Employment; Nosler Dealers. 2) may run into an overall length or case capacity issues with the longer bullets. Instead, imagine a baseball traveling at 25 inches per second that hits your shoulder. It is available with a one-turn Zero Stop or a two-turn without the Zero Stop. The .28 Nosler cartridge case can be formed by "necking up" or expanding the neck of a .26 Nosler case to 7mm (.284") diameter. 300 prc vs 28 nosler . The Nosler factory ammunition that I used on the Utah bull pushed the companys lead-free 225-grain E-Tip at an honest 2975 fps according to my own LabRadar Chronograph and the 225-grain Accubond load reaches 3025 fps. He was on the ground within five seconds of the first shot and never took a step. velocities, and they had a much lower ballistic coefficient than desired. It's extremely flat shooting and drops an incredible amount of energy on target. 308 Norma Magnum; 308 Winchester; 325 Winchester Short Magnum; 33 Nosler; 338 Lapua Magnum; 338 Remington Ultra Magnum; 338 Winchester Magnum; 338-06 A-Square; . Without the 8 mm Mauser there would be no 30-06 or 308 or any other cartridges that have that head size. What is your rationale for momentum of powder charge = mass X 1.75 X muzzle velocity? We can see that the .28 Nosler has quite a smaller bullet and length than the .308 Winchester: it is just . 28 Nosler vs 300 PRC - Long Range Hunting Rifle Comparison - Ammo.com The .308 Winchester has a wider variety of projectiles and specialty loads than the .28 Nosler. Water capacity (filled level with the case mouth) is 94.6 grains, while the case weight is 281.8 grains with a primer installed. Hope yall enjoy it! The .28 Nosler and the .308 are both big game cartridges, but they have very different effective ranges. Using preproduction ammunition, muzzle velocity averaged 3,099 fps from the 26-inch barrel of the Nosler Model 48 Patriot rifle. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Long Belted wildcat cartridges and the .338 Winchester and .340 Weatherby cartridges cannot be ignored. Nosler's case will maintain that 250-275 fps gain over the Winchester case, in spite of sharing the same length. New 33 Nosler Rivals .338 Lapua Magnum in Smaller Package Double checked my info and I can confirm its correct. In short order, people took an interest in what the precision match community had up their sleeves. Mag, so it's a good thing the barrels are threaded to accept a muzzle . The problem with muzzle brakes is that they increase the volume of the gunshot significantly. i know its different, i used to shoot 45-70 and id shoot black powder loads and modern powder loads and the black powder loaded ones felt alot better, way less recoil. These are with no muzzle brake nor suppressor. 14. The 26 Nosler is a 6.5mm/.264 cartridge based on the beltless .404 Jeffery case and the round was an instant hit. As yet, no one offers a 250 grain AccuBond in factory ammo for the 33 Nosler, and it would have scored closer to the .338 RUM with a 250. Im specifically comparing 7prc, 6.8 western, and 277 fury. Because its giant and heavy, its going to move you significantly, but it wont really hurt at all since its moving slowly. [5][9], The high velocity of the .26 Nosler cartridge has raised concerns about excessive barrel wear, potentially wearing down barrels at a rate faster than that of the similar .264 Winchester Magnum, which itself has a reputation for being a "barrel burner". I love learning about these types of topics your videos and presented data are very well done! 308 Winchester; 33 Nosler; 338 Lapua Magnum; 338 Remington Ultra Magnum; 40 S&W; 45 Auto (ACP) 6.5 Creedmoor . The bullet looks like it came out of an advertisement and retained 223.8 grains of its weight, which must mean that the polymer tip weighed 1.2 grains. The 7mm Remington Mag generates significant recoil of 22.15 ft-lbs at 13.32 fps. They work on grizzlies at close range but can reach out to put down a wounded moose at long range.. Selecting a rifle and cartridge combination which does not produce too much recoil for the shooters is critical to being able to shoot accurately without developing a flinch. I havent changed my mind that many hunters are best-served by mild-recoiling cartridges that they shoot wellespecially those who arent willing to spend the necessary range time to master larger cartridges. The .33 Nosler is the latest; modern in every respect, it fully delivers (even exceeds) its advertised ballistics of pushing a 225-grain Nosler AccuBond bullet 3,025 fps. Both cartridges kick fairly hard, but the 300 win mag has more velocity behind it. Is there a specific suppressor you would recommend for this rifle? The 257 Roberts , 7 x 57mm Spanish , 7.5 x 55mm Swiss . 11.5mm. On the other hand, my Howa in .308 Winchester (shooting 150 grain bullets at about 2800 fps) had very little recoil because it had a much thicker recoil pad (about 1) that was also much softer than the one on the Ruger. ), .330 Dakota and others. The Weatherby drives a similar bullet at least 200 fps faster and thereby has to have more recoil. About Backfires Rifle Recoil Table: How we perform calculations. The .26 Nosler is designed as a modern 6.5mm cartridge, using recent advances in firearm technology to attain exceptionally high muzzle velocities, up to 1,040m/s (3,400ft/s), and maintain an extremely flat trajectory. The greater velocity and energy of the .28 Nosler also make it a flatter shooting cartridge than the .308 Winchester. Long Belted was based on the full-length .300 H&H Magnum case blown out and necked to accept .333-inch bullets and was easily the most potent of the three cartridges. For handloaders, Nosler will also offer fully prepared Nosler brass, bullets and reloading data for the .27 Nosler. Handloaders can simply put less powder in the cartridge, but even those who purchase factory ammunition can often find reduced recoil loads which can reduce the recoil by approximately 10%. Youre 308 load data at 202 grains seems really heavy. In golf, there is a sayingif you have to hit the best shot of your life with the club in your hand to make the shot.you have the wrong club in your hand( in other words it is most likely not gonna be a good shot so dont take that shot. You mean like this? as a person that cant have more the 15 foot lbs recoil going into my shoulder ( medical thing ) i find this very helpfull. The .308 Winchester can go between medium and large game, since it does not have the full power of the .28 Nosler. The .28 Nosler will often be chambered in more expensive precision hunting rifles, but there is a good selection of .28 Nosler rifles despite the less available ammunition. For these same reasons, the .33 Nosler has had the shoulder datum moved back (or is shorter) than the .30 Nosler. [15], Four of Nosler's Cartridges the .26 Nosler, .28 Nosler, .30 Nosler, and the .33 Nosler are based on the same .300 Remington Ultra Magnum[6] parent case. Well, no one needs oneit has been proven over and over again that one can just about hunt the world with a .270 or a .30-06 with good bullets so long as we arent going after the bigger half of the big five. Is there a formula for it? Great infoAre these figures based on bolt action rifles and pump shotguns? The .22 Nosler is designed to use the existing bolt face of an AR-15, and conversions to this caliber can be accomplished with a simple barrel swap. While the .26 Nosler and the .28 Nosler share the same cartridge case dimensions, the .30 Nosler has a slightly shorter length to the shoulder dimension than the .26 Nosler and the .28 Nosler,[7] and the .33 Nosler has a shorter shoulder dimension yet than that of the .30 Nosler. After shooting a lot of different rifles and cartridges, I have found that recoil velocity number accurately predicts how much pain youll feel, and the recoil energy predicts how much youll get rocked back and thrown off your target in the scope. This makes it more versatile within its effective ranges while leaving the long distance shooting to the .28 Nolser. Nosler Unprimed Brass 222 Rem Magnum (250) Unprocessed. Most hunters arent hunting elk, moose, bears or eland, though, and those animals can weigh several times more than the average whitetail. It comes close to .338 RUM performance but fits into standard (.30-06) length rifle actions. Nothing to sneeze at. Other notable features include a two-position safety, hinged floorplate, one-piece firing pin and an adjustable Rifle Basix trigger. The .224 Valkyrie is a similar cartridge, but the two are not interchangeable. Rebating the rim to 13.6mm (0.534in) simplifies the production of rifle bolts since the rims of Holland & Holland-style belted magnums, such as the 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum, are the same diameter. For those of you who are new to firearms, lets discuss the basics of what recoil is before we look at the data. I do agree that people wont keep their own rules when their personal trophy walks into view at an unreasonable range for what they are toting. The .33 Nosler is Nosler's fourth cartridge following its predecessors the .26 Nosler which was released in 2014, the .28 Nosler which was released in 2015, and the .30 Nosler which was released in 2016. I believe this is one of the best recoil tables I have seen. God Bless America , The Constitution , Bill Of Rights & The U.S. Warriors & Veterans Of The United States Of America. Rifle Recoil Table: Updated for 2023 with all popular cartridges I thought 150 to 180 was most popular weight on the store shelf. Initial factory loads will include the 9.7g (150gr) AccuBond and the 10.7g (165gr) AccuBond Long Range (ABLR) bullets. 1) Using a bullet stabilization calculator shows that a standard 1 in 12 twist 308 barrel will only give marginal stability to the long 168gr bullets. The CDS (Custom Dial System) can be custom tailored at no cost to correspond with the precise ballistics of a given load to compensate for bullet drop. I have taken a considerable number of big game with .338s, including elk, moose, black bear, caribou, deer, pronghorn antelope, grizzly and Alaskan brown bears and have also used them in long-range target work at distances out to 2,000 yards. The heart of the rifle is a new Model 21 action, which has . [16] Mag. I called the shot and told the guide to give him an additional three to four feet of lead. As hunting cartridges, both of these calibers are popular in bolt action rifles. That the .33 Nosler fits into a standard .30-06 length action (maximum cartridge length being within 3.340 inches) makes it feasible to be chambered in many rifles and actions. Nosler cartridges include (left to right): .26, .28, .30 and .33. That's good enough for 4,291 ft-lbs energy at the muzzle and 1,500 at 780 yards downrange. He was an old one, his hide was stained black from the wallow and his thick antlers carried their mass the length of his main beams. This is because the bullet for that cartridge has a .308" diameter. X-Vision Optics long-range ImpactThermal Scope (TS300) boasts a 640 x 480 thermal sensor that can detect big game well past 3,000 yards. Thanks a lot this really helped me out with picking a starting deer rifle for my son. Out of the muzzle, the .28 Nosler is flying 475 ft/s faster than the .308 Winchester. I think youre a natural at this Jim How about the 450 Marlin? Your chart says 6.8 Western produces 20ft/lbs of recoil but a couple other sites Ive read say its around 30. I have considerable respect for the capabilities of this caliber. You see, I once wrote a piece for this very website titled "Who Needs a Magnum?" Jim, As mentioned, though, there are other good options that are similarly situated for light recoil hunting capabilities. If you had to choose from left-handed choice, what would be good, better, best picks? Compared to the 338 LM from Hodgdons reloading at 3046fps with a compressed load of Retumbo under a 225. How much longer depends on a number of things, including barrel quality and whether a barrel is regularly cleaned and serviced or abused by its owner. All Buds Gun Shop Products for Sale - Buds Gun Shop Even with foam earplugs or earmuffs, the sound can still be loud enough to make ears ring. From 140-175 it runs a little faster with higher BC and SD'ed bullets. Nosler M48 Patriot 308 $ OUT OF STOCK. Just a more useful cartridge to me all the way around. It doesn\\\t seem to follow the order of operations for math. The 338 Lapua kicks more than the 300 Norma (heavier bullet) and the narrower 30 cal bullet from the 300 Norma is performing better when launched at high velocities. I had an older Ruger model 77 in 7mm-08 (shooting140 grain bullets at about 2800 fps) and the recoil was pretty sharp because the recoil pad was hard rubber and no more than 1/4 thick. The .28 Nosler has a bullet diameter of .22", a case length of 1.76", and an overall length of 2.26". And also 30-06 , 205 gr . The crosshairs are illuminated for low-light shooting, while the click finger adjustments are 14 MOA. The trouble with this formula is that most people dont know the powder charge unless they hand load their own ammunition, and all of the other number depend on several factors. Both make this little mountain gun 1000 yard capable. 35 remington 358 winchester 35 whelen 35 whelen ack 350 rem mag (no fit) 358 . 500-yard drop: 33 inches . Fantastic information thank you for your work. there is a ton of ppl that would love that info. Cheers To All of Those that Support Your Channel , the Second Amendment and Our Freedom Loving Nation ..!!!!!! Just want to make sure Im reading it correctly. Some of these have been very successful commercially with hunters and match shooters and with various militaries, but for several reasons others have struggled. 308 vs 338 Federal for Elk <450 yds | Nosler Reloading Forum Is there somewhere we can adjust the ranges? Youll need to stay inside 300 yards for large game, and inside 500 yards for medium game. I watch your videos, get stoked about a cool products, like the 2020 waypoint, then research it for a lefty an Nope!, not available. 11 Great .338 Caliber Rifle Cartridges - Shooting Times The .28 Nosler is no exception. When set on 2x, this makes a great scope for brush or timber hunting, as it offers a wide field of view. The range was 358 yards and there was no wind to speak ofI dialed for the vertical drop and held the duplex reticle of the Leupold VX-6 HD low on his shoulder. The success of the 26 Nosler led to an expansion in the lineup and now we have the 28 Nosler (7mm), 30 Nosler (.30 caliber), and the .33 Nosler (.338) to choose from. 3. An additional method to reduce the recoil of a firearm is to use downloaded rounds. I see sportsmans guide pulled down the plagiarized article from their site. Five Reasons For 300 Remington Ultra Magnum - Ron Spomer Outdoors Some people look at the recoil energy of a 50BMG and think they will be KILLED by 83.17 ft-lbs of free recoil energy; however, the 50BMG is a physically heavy gun (usually over 30 lbs), so the recoil moves slowly (also because of the muzzle brake). They also deliver terminal performance that is not much different than the .375 H&H Magnum, while offering a flatter trajectory and are generally chambered in lighter, handier rifles. Its nice to have an updated chart with modern calibers! While the .26 Nosler and the .28 Nosler share the same cartridge case dimensions, the .30 Nosler has a slightly shorter length to the shoulder dimension than the .26 Nosler and the .28 Nosler,[7] and the .33 Nosler has a shorter shoulder length dimension than that of the .30 Nosler. The .33 Nosler - Shooting Times Nosler Custom 338Win 24.75" Walnut w/Leupold Limited Edition Without a muzzle brake, the .33 is no fun at all to shoot from the bench or prone, though its manageable in field positions and youd likely never notice the recoil with a big bull in your crosshairs. Just curious why do you use a 205grain for you 300weatherby recoil calculation? In a well-designed rifle and stock, the .30-06 recoil is acceptable for most adult shooters, but in many older rifles with poorly-designed stocks, the recoil can feel too powerful. Factory .33 Nosler ammunition loaded with 225-grain AccuBond bullets measures 3.324 inches, which allows it to function in standard .30-06 length actions. . The article states and at last 1,900 fps of velocity recommended for deer, same as elk? During testing, extreme spreads were an impressive 30 fps for a 10-shot string. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. All rights reserved. Weatherby Nation Both are great choices for long range shooting, . The Ridgeline is the quintessential hunting rifle. Keep in mind that attaching a muzzle brake reduces the free recoil energy by about 40% and attaching a suppressor reduces free recoil energy by about 32%. Nosler will be offering their complete line of M48 rifles in the .27 Nosler chambering. After a couple of fouling shots, it was ready to be tested for accuracy. 567. Great job Jim! I have no idea where you sourced all of this information but, this is very impressive and extremely helpful. Is that accurate? I have spent literally hundreds of hours collecting the information in this blog post. The recoil VELOCITY number of the .50 BMG is similar to a .308. These charts have been eye opening and informative, thank you. Now I am better informed and will make better decisions regarding what to buy and stock up on. Jim, so much work is summarized in what you have built. The 338 Norma Mag has 12 gr more case h20 capacity over the 33 Nosler in a case length only .032" longer, the beefier 338 Norma case when improved adds an additional 10 gr and drives the 325 gr Chinchaga bullets at 2725 fps, 300 gr Berger OTM at 2860 fps, 285 gr ELD Match at 3050 fps, and the 265 gr Barnes LRX at 3100 fps. Because of its recoil, a .28 Nosler should generally only be shot out of heavier rifles, coupled with a brake or suppressor. Nosler's factory ammunition is offered with the 225-grain AccuBond, the 265-grain AccuBond Long . if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'backfire_tv-box-4','ezslot_26',175,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-backfire_tv-box-4-0'); The formula for determining the free recoil energy of a firearm is (Rifle Weight in Pounds/64.34) *(Recoil Velocity in FPS^2). Using this web site acknowledges your agreement to the, 28 Nosler vs 308 Win Ballistics Comparison. At 500 yards, the .28 Nosler continues to fly 668 ft/s faster than the .300 Winchester. How can we calculate wind drift for these calibers? Thanks for any help. Due to its greater length, the Remington case is about 25 percent more capacious than the Nosler.[17]. It produces 28.27 ft-lbs of recoil energy at a velocity of 14.72 fps. Thanks so much for this! The Nosler AccuBond is one of the best all-round big-game bullets offered, and Weatherby has smarly offered . Noslers 225-grain E-Tip smashed the 16-year-old bulls shoulder, crossed through both lungs and came to rest against the hide on the opposite side of the animal. With that, there was mention that for deer the cartridge should have Hornady HITS ranking of at least 500 and for elk 900. look forward to black powder list one day. It is claimed that the .22 Nosler delivers 25% more case capacity and is nearly 90m/s (300ft/s) faster than a .223 Remington/ 5.56 NATO. Like its stablematesthe .26, .28, and .30 Noslersthe .33 is based on the .300 Remington Ultra Mag case. The Model 48 and .33 Nosler proved an accurate combination, with several three-shot groups hovering under .5-inch.
Titans Uniform Schedule 2021, Duggar Family Member Dies 2020, Abdulrahman Al Jasmi Bahrain Worth, David Agnew Net Worth, Draco Saves Hermione From Abuse Fanfiction, Articles OTHER